I’ve been Twitter user for 8 years and I love the app. Like many, I’ve been wondering since a while how Twitter may solve the popular request for editing tweets. Now it’s finally time to face the challenge.
Interactions allowing users to edit their tweets and prevent abuses due to editing.
Personal exploratory project
Edit button may be a thin ice because used inappropriately may provide even fake news - a popular threat among the internet nowadays. Also, it needs to be emphasized that Twitter is a social media platform that its transparency and credibility of content is its highest value and responsibility.
It was important to me to begin by finding all the most important facts about Twitter users to understand better who they are and why they use Twitter. Below I listed facts that were the most relevant to “Edit tweets” functionality.
- 80% of Twitter users access via mobile
- 80% of Twitter users is international - only 82M comes from US and UK
- The top 3 countries by user count outside the US are Brazil (27.7M), Japan (25.9M) and Mexico (23.5M)
- Twitter supports 40 languages
- 37% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 27% users are 30-49yo
- 74% is Twitter users say they use the network to get their news
- 187 governments maintain an official presence on Twitter
- 83% of the world’s leaders are on Twitter
- Journalists make up 24.6% of verified accounts
- People are 31% more likely to recall what they saw on Twitter as opposed to browsing online in general
Source: Pew Research